Holy Week is finally here! As much as we’ve all been looking forward to it, the stark reality is that most of us will be confined at home, practicing safe social distancing in order to flatten the COVID-19 spread curve, and as a result of the Luzon-wide lockdown.
On the brighter side, for those in similar situations, why not make use of this time at home and learn how to cook guilt-free eats while on lockdown? Here are some taste-tantalizing and healthy Filipino meals and snacks you can prepare whilst serving quarantine this Holy Week!
- Ginisang Ampalaya
- This is one of the healthiest Filipino recipes. As long as you can get past the initial bitter flavour, this meal is rich in nutrients and the ingredients can help lower blood sugar levels. Saute the garlic, onion, and tomatoes first. Then, toss in the ampalaya slices in the pan, beat the eggs and pour it all over, and mix them! You already have a nutritious meal in front of you.
- Lumpiang Sariwa
- This one requires more effort. You need to thinly slice sweet potato, cabbage, carrots, lettuce, string beans – as thin as it gets. Don’t give up on chopping and wrapping them up, because once it comes all together in your mouth with the sweet sauce and peanuts, everything is worth it. You can also add shrimp for the filling if you want!
- Sinigang na Hipon
- Let’s replace the classic and everyone’s favorite Sinigang na Baboy with Hipon for the meantime. Prepare your okra, eggplant, kangkong, tomato, sitaw, and shrimp. Make the broth super sour and we promise you that you’ll feel well comforted at this time.
- Tortang Talong
- The 4-ingredient Filipino dish is a must for Holy Week! You just need eggplant, eggs, salt, and cooking oil. That’s it! It looks easy, but peeling the eggplant is the real challenge. Quick tip! Make sure to burn all sides and steam it in a ziplock bag. It makes peeling the eggplant skin so much easier!
- Banana Pancakes
- Healthy breakfast? Bananas are a rich source of potassium. And they’re always readily available. Once they’ve ripened and gotten a few dark marks around the skin, it’s time to turn them into tasty pancakes! In a large bowl, mix mashed bananas, eggs, baking soda, vanilla extract or lemon zest, and almond flour respectively. Heat a pan and melt the unsalted butter, scoop and cook away, and enjoy your pancakes!
- Avocado Shake
- This is the perfect summer cooler! Crushed ice, avocado, coco sugar, and almond or non-fat milk are all it takes. Did you know that Avocado is rich in protein, fiber, potassium, and good fats? This one is absolutely refreshing and, for the best part, very healthy!
- Tuna Sandwich
- We’re pretty sure you’ve stocked up on canned tuna, especially when the quarantine period was announced, so this is a quick and easy snack with no fuss. Simply combine the tuna flakes, onion, and mayonnaise in a bowl. Spread it over some bread, add some sliced tomatoes and cucumber, and voila! Happy snacking!
Bonus! Boiled eggs!
- Taking Holy Week fasting seriously? Boiled eggs make an interesting addition to all of the meals we’ve suggested so far. But if you want a quick, easy and healthy snack to keep you going in between meals, you can’t go wrong with a boiled egg.
We’re sure this isn’t how you envisioned spending your Holy Week. If you could time travel right now, you’d probably be on a beach enjoying the sun or out on the street doing the traditional “Pabasa” and Visita Iglesia. However, for now, please stay at home and practice social distancing. If we all play our part, things will get better soon.